Thursday, May 1, 2008

World Issue Alert: Congo

Today's World Issue is brought to you by the Diane Rehm Show from WAMU in Washington. I started listening to Diane Rehm on the world's tiniest NPR Station in Oxford, Ohio. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Chicago Public Radio, but I miss Diane's book reviews and Friday news round up... (Don't we all?)

I miss, therefore I podcast. Diane went for the serious issues on Monday, tackling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the terror that is everyday life for women in the Congo. John Prendergast and Linda Jackson were featured as her guests and, while I had hear whisperings of the atrocities, Linda's new film The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo is telling the story of survivors who have been abused and mutilated in a war that has claimed over five million lives. We can contribute by informing ourselves about what's happening to these woman and the context of all of this violence. Listening to the podcast is a great place to start - both panelists offer a concise history of the problems in Congo and refer to additional resources and NGO's that are working for these women and children.

Organizations to Look Into:

Women for Women International


ENOUGH Project

Amnesty International

I know that this blog is all over the place, but that's how life is. I might work in the non-profit sector and lean to the left politically, but I can also be frivolous, into material things and have a weird hobby. I think that's the paradox of being an informed individual in Western society. I've spent years feeling guilty, but now I just try to do what I do when I can and I'll try to work it all out into a nice little package later.

From Women to Women's Mother's Day Card Campaign

No comments: