Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ain't Nothin' but a Tweet Thang, Baby

I am on Twitter. There's no denying it. I like it a lot, but it took me along time to figure out the functionality of it. If you think of it more as an RSS feed rather than a constant facebook status update (which would be totally useless as far as I'm concerned), it can really bring you in touch with a great deal of information.

That being said, today I saw Twitter jump the proverbial shark. I witnessed an interview between George Stephanopoulos and John McCain done entirely via Tweet (Twinterview?). Not only was this exercise pointless, but my reaction was two fold:

1. This is what happens when old people try to 'harness new technology'. I'm not spring chicken, but let's just admit that we're talking about old guys who are learning about the internets from interns and/or lowly staffers. Talk about the digital divide.

2. As if interviews weren't convoluted enough, now they're 140 characters with tons of lag-time between questions to better generate a canned answer through your staff!

Please, internet God, let this be the last time I see this go down...

No comments: